Facilities at NICU
The NICU at BNWCCC is a state-of-the-art facility, providing high-level tertiary care to sick neonates. It has acquired a high repute for its good results in the care of the sick and low birth weight babies. A large team comprising highly reputed Neonatology consultants, registrars and residents manage the babies day in and day out. They are ably supported by a very dedicated and experienced team of nurses, delivering a high level of competence. Overall, a high survival of about 89% in these critically ill low birth weight babies has been achieved in these last few years, mainly due to maintenance of international quality standards in care.
The NICU has the latest infrastructure with a separate air-conditioning facility to ventilate up to 6 babies at a time. All-invasive and non-invasive modalities of monitoring are available eg, ECG, NIBP, IBP, CVP etc. Modalities of respiratory therapy such as HFO, CPAP, IMV, SIMV, PIV and PSV are also available. A close association with the obstetric services since inception in 2002, has brought about recognition of our NICU as a major referral unit. Many high-risk and precious pregnancies for safe monitoring and delivery are now being referred to us from all over eastern India and neighbouring countries.
Round the clock Newborn Transport with dedicated transport ventilator/incubator and experienced transport team is available. Every delivery in the hospital is attended by a doctor trained in neonatal resuscitation at birth.
Some of the varied Neonatal Problems, the NICU caters to
- Neonatal Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS, HMD)
- Meconium Aspiration Syndromes
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension (PPHN)
- Septic shock
- Various neonatal surgical problems, eg Tracheo-Esophageal Fistulas, Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia etc.
The salient features of NICU
- Arterial Blood Gas Analyzer
- In-house ECHO machine (LOGIQ 5 pro)
- Portable X-Ray
- ETCO2 Monitor, Cardiac Monitors, Pulse Oximetres, Servo-controlled Warmers, Incubators, Infusion Pumps and Double Surface Phototherapy Units.
- The department has all facilities for providing Surfactant Therapy, Exchange Transfusions, Umbilical and Radial Arterial Lines, Epicutaneocaval Catheterisation, etc.
- TStaff nurse and baby ratio of 1:1
- Neonatal Transport Ambulance