Department of Paediatrics & Neonatology :
The Department of Paediatrics and Neonatology at BNWCCC includes senior paediatricians, neonatologists, paediatric surgeons... all of whom are trained abroad.
The department is supported round-the-clock by RMOs who extend assistance to the consultants. The nursing staff is specifically trained to handle babies in this department and each one of them is selected after passing through a stringent selection process.
The department includes :
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Special Care Baby Unit
- Isolation Room for infected neonates
- Paediatric and Neonatal Surgery including plastic and reconstructive surgery, such as, cleft palate, smile repair, etc.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Objectives of the Neonatology Department :
- Provide high and intermediate dependency care for neonates - The NICU would be capable of taking care of all critically ill neonates, premature and extremely low birth weight (< 1000 gram) infants.
- Provide and care for all neonates delivered at the hospital - This would include support for neonatal resuscitation at delivery, management of problems like neonatal jaundice and supportive care for high risk infants like those born to mothers with diseases complicating pregnancy.
- Develop a comprehensive training centre in Neonatology
(a) Provide training for Paediatricians in neonatal intensive care, develop community Neonatology modules and undertake research in topics of interest in Neonatology.
(b) Provide training for nurses in all aspects of neonatal care, impart short-term courses for nurses in neonatal intensive care nursing and become a nodal point for continuing medical and nursing education.