A little smile is all that matters
Pediatrics and Neonatology
- PICU is designed to keep a close watch on critically ill children and provide complex multi-system life support. Apart from the qualified pediatric doctors Kolkata and trained nurses, the entire unit is equipped with advanced technology to provide treatment and care for neonates and children. The retrieval service at the hospital is staffed by an expert team who have undergone specialised training in the transfer of ill children moving from a different hospital to our PICU.
- The Critical care unit of the department is a super-specialized facility that is dedicated to neonates and children who need intensive monitoring & medical care. This facility is equipped with advanced technologies and is manned around the clock by the skilled nurses, neonatologists, pediatric specialists Kolkata – who help the entire critical care team and respond to any kind of critical conditions efficiently. Sterile, vivid, and airy atmosphere with adequate natural sunlight also helps to increase the recovery rate of the child. The hospital has one of the best facilities to take care of the newly born child in the Level 3 NICU that provides special care. It can be really stressful for parents to see their new born being transferred to NICU just after birth. Some hospitals don’t have the staff for NICU and babies must be moved. This transfer can place the baby at a high risk of developing serious health complications. Neonatal Retrieval Services at our hospital is backed by a specialised team of doctors and skilled nurses who ensure the baby is transferred gently to our hospital and appropriate care is provided on the way. The NICU is complemented by a SCBU (Special Care Baby Unit) where relatively well babies are admitted.
Pediatric Super- Specialties in New Town, Kolkata
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Pediatric Cardiology (non-invasive)
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Pediatric ENT
Pediatric Music Therapy in New Town, Kolkata
Right from our hospital décor (which is designed to make patients and family members as comfortable as possible) to caring pediatric nurses and the best pediatricians in Kolkata- we put children and their families at the center of all we do.
PICU Retrieval Services
NICU Retrieval Services
Surgical treatment and procedures are available: -
- Surgeries to correct congenital abnormalities in infants or children
- Injuries that require immediate surgery
- Reconstructive procedures
- Pediatric Laparoscopic Surgery
The Department of Pediatric Orthopedics at BNWCCC, New Town offers state-of-the-art services for children in a holistic environment. The team is backed by expert orthopedic specialists along with a skilled team of nurses to treat every complication starting from simple fractures to surgeries.
Identifying common orthopedic condition among children: -
When orthopedic complications occur in children, the most important things parents must do is to get in touch with an orthopedic specialist. It is best that treatment must start once your child is diagnosed with an orthopedic disorder or showcase symptoms.
- Toe Walking
- Knock – Knees
- Growth Modulation
- Cerebral Palsy
At our hospital, we treat an entire range of orthopedic conditions for both surgical and non-surgical conditions- starting from fractures in children, sport-related injuries, hip conditions to name a few.
We are always here to support and love your child at every step of their journey so that they feel they are not in a hospital but at another home away from their home.
- General pediatric nephrology
- Glomerulonephritis in children of different aetiologies
- Nephrotic syndrome in children including frequently relapsing, steroid dependant and steroid resistant cases
- Complicated Urinary Tract Infection
- Chronic kidney disease
- Children with voiding disorder
- Hypertension in children
- Inherited renal metabolic conditions
- Renal stones
- Renal tract developmental anomalies
- Chronic and acute kidney failure treatment with provision for dialysis
- Full medical support for kidney disease in children
- Renal Biopsy
- Micturatingcystourethrography (MCUG)
- Urodynamic studies (UDS)
- ABPM (24 hrs blood pressure monitoring)
- Surgical treatment for different urological problems in children
- Peritoneal and haemodialysis to support children with acute and chronic kidney failure.
Monthly Nephrotic syndrome Clinic for complicated cases
Weekly clinic for children with voiding disorder and other bladder problems
Hypertension in children is not uncommon. In some children, hypertension can be a serious condition. It can increase the risk of getting cardiovascular disease, especially if it continues into adulthood. Hypertension may be primary or secondary. In adults hypertension is mostly managed by cardiologist. Unlike adults, as hypertension in children is commonly caused by kidney diseases, an experienced Pediatric Nephrologist should be contacted as early as possible. The consultant will try to find out what is causing it and whether it is affecting other parts of his or her body. The first tests to diagnose hypertension is obtaining the accurate blood pressure measurement of the child. One of the best ways to assess a child suspected of hypertension is to use Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM). Your child may be fitted with a special electronic monitor that automatically measures blood pressure during the day when the child is doing different activity, and also during the night while they are sleeping. It is usually done over a period of time, usually 24 hours. The Pediatric Nephrology department at Bhagirathi Neotia Woman and Child Care Centre, Newtown is well equipped with all latest and modern devices including ABPM and able to provide comprehensive monitoring and care of children with hypertension supported by a dedicated team of Pediatric Nephrologists, skilled nursing team and technicians.
Urodynamic testing or Urodynamics is a study which gives an idea about the proper functioning of your child’s urinary bladder.
It looks at the following:
- Size of the urinary bladder
- How the bladder is behaving when it is storing urine?
- How efficiently is the bladder able to empty itself?
- Any obstruction in the urethra
- Cause of urinary leakage if any
The procedure involves insertion of catheters into the urethra and anus which are connected to a computer and a pump. The bladder is artificially filled up with saline and when the bladder is filled to its capacity, the child is asked to void by the side of the catheters. During this test, pressures in the bladder and bladder behaviour are monitored throughout the bladder filling and voiding phase.
Do all children with urinary problems require urodynamics?
No. Most children initially undergo simpler investigations and trial of conservative treatment, and undergo urodynamics if they do not respond. There are other circumstances where a Urodynamics is required at the baseline itself. The call will be taken by your pediatrician/ pediatric surgeon on an individual basis.
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Muscle problem that leads to weakness
- Severe Headache
- Behavioral Disorders
- Developmental disorders
- A genetic condition that affects the nervous system
- Infection or any kind of inflammation in the brain
At Bhagirathi Neotia Woman and Child Care Centre, New Town we provide world-class facilities backed by a highly experienced pediatric neurologist and a multidisciplinary team that includes a Psychiatrist, Speech, and Language Therapist, Physiotherapist to treat critical neurological conditions in babies and children. Diagnostic services for children with complex neurological problems including blood test to assess the signs of infection and EEG (electroencephalogram), a test that finds out the problems along with the electrical activity occurring in the child’s brain are also available.